The Liberal Democrat Christian Forum exists to be a Christian voice within the party and a voice of liberal democracy among Christians and we are recruiting a new Director to drive forward the work of the Forum in the coming months. The Director will be based at the party’s HQ at Westminster and will work alongside Parliamentarians, the Management Committee and the Executive to build LDCF’s profile, reach out to voters in the Christian communities and support the party’s candidates & activists.
This exciting and varied role includes opportunities to develop experience in communications, strategy, campaigning, membership development and event organising, as well as managing the office. The Director will be interacting at all levels with Liberal Democrat politicians and staff, LDCF members, other Christian and political organisations, and members of the public.
This pivotal role within the organisation has four key aims:
- To raise the profile and outreach of LDCF into the Christian community, including by participation in Christians in Politics;
- To support Christians within the Liberal Democrat Party, including elected representatives and candidates;
- To act as a relational bridge between the party and the Christian community;
- To facilitate LDCF members contributing towards party policy and debate.
Responsibilities of the role include:
- Representing LDCF among Christian political organisations and in the Christian media;
- Developing strong communication channels with members;
- Organising events including the Annual Gladstone Lecture, fringe events at the Liberal Democrat Party Conferences and prayer meetings in Parliament;
- Seeking opportunities to facilitate LDCF members in the shaping of party policy;
- Representing LDCF at Spring and Autumn Liberal Democrat Federal Conferences;
- Ensuring the website is used effectively and regularly updated;
- Producing resources including our annual magazine;
- Working to increase the membership of LDCF;
- Line managing additional office support;
- Day to day office management and administration;
- Basic financial management and bookkeeping.
Characteristics/skills we are looking for:
- A desire for Christians to engage with politics;
- Sympathetic to the Liberal Democrat Party and the aims of LDCF (you must not be a member of another political party);
- Self-starter, able to prioritise tasks and work under own initiative;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and an ability to tailor messages to different audiences;
- Strong organisational and project management skills;
- Strategic thinker;
- Able to work well as part of a team and to build positive relationships with partner organisations;
- Public speaking skills and willingness to engage with the media;
- IT and social media literate;
- Understanding of basic financial management and bookkeeping.
Above all, we are looking for someone who is passionate about encouraging Christians to get involved in politics and the Liberal Democrat Party in a positive and constructive way, and who wants to make a difference. If you have this passion and you’re a self-starter, an excellent communicator, and a strategic thinker with well-developed project management skills, we would love to hear from you.
The normal office day is 9am-6pm, but where business dictates and work needs to be completed it is expected that the Director will be available outside of these hours. Flexible working is therefore welcomed for this post. The Director will also be required to attend two conferences a year.
The post is for a 12-month for 32 hours/4 days a week, with a strong possibility of it being extended beyond this period. There is also the potential for extending the post to 5 days.
Salary £24,000 (pro rata)
Please send a CV and covering letter of not more than one A4 page to firstname.lastname@example.org. The covering letter should tell us how you fit the above criteria and why you want to work for the Liberal Democrat Christian Forum.
For questions about the role please contact:
Elizabeth Jewkes (vice chair) on email@example.com or Claire Mathys (outgoing Director) on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date: Sunday 2nd August 6pm.
Interviews will take place during the week commencing 17th August.
Start date to be agreed (ideally early September).